Monday, November 9, 2009

Smoky Chipolte Linguine with Ancho Chili rubbed Scallops


My grocery store is okay but they tend to be limited in a few areas. Actually, our grocer does a pretty good job seeing we are located in Southeastern Ohio. There just isn't a lot of variety in some departments, especially the seafood department. When I go to larger metro areas I love to explore grocery stores. Probably is a sign of a true foodie, but, it's fun so what can I say?

While in the Columbus area last week for work I had the opportunity to check out a new market, Weiland's Gourmet Market. A little out of the way for me at the time but I'm glad I went. Their seafood department was top notch. I was extremely impressed with the variety and apparent quality. I picked up the scallops used in this dish and let me tell you they were easily one of the best batches of scallops I've cooked yet. Okay, I know I'm a really good cook ( ;)wink ) but I do need to give credit to the high quality of the scallops. Weiland's wine, meat and cheese departments were equally impressive.

Smoky Chipotle Linguine with Ancho Chili rubbed Scallops

Pasta
1/2 pound dry linguine pasta
1 c. reserved pasta water
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 large chipotle pepper in adobe sauce
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp flat leafed Italian parsley

Dry Rub
1 tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

8 scallops
Lemon wedges

Cook pasta according to directions on package, shortening cook time by 2 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.

Mince chipotle pepper.

In a saucepan, simmer add oil and chipotle. Cook for about 30 seconds. Add reserved pasta water, cream, and cheese. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Finish at the end with the parsley.

Combine dry rub ingredients. Press both sides of each scallop in the dry rub. Place scallops on a medium high grill. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes.

Mix pasta with the sauce. Plate by placing pasta on dish with scallops on time. Serve with a lemon wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment