Saturday, November 21, 2009

Butternut Squash and Potato Au Gratin


Butternut Squash is an amazing food. I know I've told you this before but I can't seem to get over how good they taste. The butternut squash recipes I've shared with you so far are B-nut squash fries and B-nut bread.

I love those recipes but this time I have truly captured the magic of the B-nut squash.

Butternut Squash and Potato Au Gratin

1 small butternut squash
5 Yukon gold potatoes
1 medium red onion
3 large cloves of garlic

Sauce
16 ounces chicken stock
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp french thyme
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup provolone cheese

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Peel and deseed the squash. Wash the potatoes. Remove skin from the onion and garlic cloves. Thinly slice the squash, potatoes, onion and garlic.

Whisk the sauce ingredients together.

Oil a deep 10 inch baking dish. Start layering the Au gratin ingredients: potatoes, garlic slices, onion, sauce, squash, cheese. Repeat for 2-3 layers. Cook at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with tin foil and let sit for at least 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment