Sunday, November 22, 2009

Grilled Jerk Turkey



My family in SE Ohio hasn't had a traditional T-day dinner in years. I'm not a turkey hater like the rest of them. I've been feeling the need to figure out a way to make a some what traditional (although I'm never really 'traditional' because I always like to buck the system) thanksgiving day dinner at least the husband would eat.

Last weekend I got a small turkey. Monday, I removed the back bone and cut the turkey in half. The half that I was cooking for this weekend I set aside for the brine. I sectioned the other half by white and dark meat and then put in the freezer for another time. In a large bowl, place the turkey in the brine liquid. One day before cooking I removed the brine and then added my marinade.

I was feeling a lot of pressure. The Hub has been ridiculing me all week because he is not a turkey fan. How would a good wife cook a dish that is not the Hub's fav on a Saturday night? I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it....

It was phenomenal! Wow!

Grilled Jerk Turkey
1 small turkey
1 1/2 cup limeade
1 cup chicken stock
Brine
Water to cover 1/2 turkey
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup hot sauce (I used sambal oelek)


Marinade
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup of your favorite jerk spice
1/4 cup soy sauce

Place the turkey in the brine at least 72 hours before you plan on cooking the turkey. Remove from the brine 24 hours prior to cooking, rinse, and place in the marinade.

Separate the breast and dark meat so it will be easier to navigate on the grill

Heat your grill on low. Place a double layer of heavy duty tin foil on the grill. With pinchers roll all 4 sides up about an inch so juices will not drop on the grill. Put the turkey on the foil. Cook for about 10 minutes and turn. Once you turn, add limeade and press foil on top off the turkey. Placing the foil on the turkey while it's cooking will allow it to steam a little so it doesn't dry out. Cook on the grill for an hour. After an hour remove from grill, place in a baking pan, drizzle about a cup of broth over the turkey and place in a 375 degree oven for about an hour.

Delicious! Lick, lick.......

No comments:

Post a Comment