Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Garlic Soup


I started this blog to talk about one of my passions - food from cultures other than my own. But, it's harvest time in our area for a lot of my favorites so I'd be remiss not to showcase these favorites while they are in a state of perfection.

I've been going to our local Farmer's Market in Southeastern Ohio every weekend I get the chance. What is so strikingly beautiful to me is the garlic. I wish I would have taken a photo of the bounty and the beautiful couple that has grew the garlic for my recipes but I forgot to bring my camera. Maybe I'll be able to get a picture soon and add it to another post.

Garlic soup is elusive to me. I've heard of it but have never seen it on a menu. I've seen recipes but I've been too intimidated to make it. Will I spend time on this dish and it'll end up so garlicky I'm the only one that will eat it? That could be a turn off but fortunately not the case this weekend. To me garlic is very romantic. If there is garlic in the dish, The Hub will usually like it. I am out to please The Hub if nobody else.

The garlic soup I made this past weekend was sweet, creamy and extremely flavorful in many dimensions. I roasted most of the garlic before adding to the soup. Roasting made the garlic sweet with a little toast flavor. To top, I crisped some pork side to incorporate just a little bit of decadence.

Garlic Soup
2 heads of garlic + 2 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp of olive oil
2 c. chicken stock
3 c. water
4 sprigs of thyme
2 tbsp flour + 2 tbsp cold water
1/2 c. cream
1/2 pound of pork side

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut the very top of the stems off the 2 heads of garlic. Place on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with two tbsp. of olive oil. Wrap foil up and around garlic heads sealing them in. Roast for 45 minutes. Cool. Once cool, squeeze the garlic meat into a separate bowl being careful to keep the garlic husk/paper separate.

Slice in very thin pieces the 2 cloves of garlic. Heat a stock pan to medium and add remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and add garlic. Cook for 30 seconds being careful not to burn the garlic. Add stock and water bringing to a low boil.

Separately mix the flour and cold water. Once the stock mixture comes to a low boil, add flour mixture. Simmer down for approximately 30-45 minutes until your desired thickness. Add cream.

Cut pork side into 1/4 inch cubes. Saute in medium hot saucepan until crisp.

Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with pork happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment