Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Super Decadent Chocolate Cake with a Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Perhaps the phrase 'Death by Chocolate' was inspired by a cake like this. My wonderful darling sister found this recipe from a Hershey Cookbook. Last time I visited my sister I begged and pleaded that she make it but to no avail. Therefore, I had to take matters into my own hands. You'll notice I only made a half a cake so pretty much it's half the fat and half the calories, right? I wonder if my trainer would agree. I doubt it, he's used to my trickery. The original recipe calls for regular cocoa powder but we modify it using some black cocoa powder to intensify the richness. The frosting is also modified by whipping cream instead of using milk. This amps the fluffy factor, which is always good.

Cake Recipe for a full cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2 cups sugar

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup cocoa

1/2 cup black cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 cup canola oil

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup boiling water

Whisk the dry ingredients together and then stir in the wet ingredients. Add the boiling water last. Pour into 2 9" cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool.

Frosting

8 tbsp softened butter

3 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

1/3 cup whipping cream

1 tsp vanilla

Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the butter and vanilla and mix until combined. Sift in the sugar and cocoa. Sifting is really important so that you don't get a lumpy frosting. I was lazy and skipped this step so you can see my frosting isn't quite as smooth as desirable. It still tastes amazing. Once the cake has cooled frost your delicious cakes and enjoy!

See! Half a cake! How cute is that!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment